Friday, August 15, 2008

Two New COs

First up is a lace scarf I cast on at the end of July with the intent of finding a little lace project that would take one skein of sock yarn (since I had this luscious yarn in my stash) that would be ideal for summer travel knitting. This pattern fit the bill quite nicely, but I felt myself strangely not interested in knitting while I was in Hawaii. (Go figure! I guess the water was calling.) Last week, I said here that I was most likely going to frog this ... but I can't. After a few weeks apart, I could look at it with new eyes, and I think I'm in love again.



Pattern: Road Not Taken Scarf by Lisa Lloyd
Yarn: Sundara sock yarn in Burnt Cranberry
Needles: US size 6

Last week, I also said it was time to cast on for the Feather & Fan shawl I've been preparing for for sometime. A year or two ago, I saw pictures of Hello Yarn’s Handspun Feather and Fan Shawl and fell so in love with it that I started collecting handspun yarn with the plan of making something similar for myself someday. I saved the project for Project Spectrum Water, since the yarn I collected was in blues and purples, but also because of the wave motif in the feather & fan lace pattern. I decided to knit the Pacific Waves Shawl pattern, because I think I will really like the way an L-shaped shawl fits around the shoulders. Last weekend I cast on - no mean feat, that’s 541 stitches.



Pattern: Pacific Waves Shawl by Danielle Miner
Yarn: Sock Hop handspun by Crown Mountain Farms in 5 colorways
Needles: US size 8

As of today, I’ve completed 24 rows of the shawl. I like the way it’s shaping up - it’s very cool to see how the center decreases every other row are making a nice “V” - but I have to confess I’m unsure about the color combination. I can't decide - are the changing colors working up to be a lovely way to bring out the wave shape, or is the combination somehow excruciatingly 70s?

No comments: