Friday, December 26, 2008

A Baby Shower Set

I'm hoping to get caught up on my knitblogging during my winter break from school and work, although a couple FOs still need photoshoots. In any case, a little set for a baby shower:

Shower Gift

Hat Pattern: Baby Watchcap by Nikol Lohr
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Mediumweight in Lagoon
Needles: US size 4 / 3.5 mm
on Ravelry

I knit with smaller yarn and needles than the pattern called for. I swatched in the 3x3 rib and found gauge based on an average of the swatch relaxed and stretched fully out. I cast on 90 stitches and added a few extra plain knit/purl rows during the early decrease rows to compensate for the thinner yarn.

Mitten Pattern: Baby Mittens by Malin Nilsson
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Mediumweight in Lagoon
Needles: US size 2.5 / 3.0 mm
on Ravelry

My gauge was different from the pattern, so I CO 26 stitches for the ribbing and increased to 33 stitches for the hand.

Both were quick to knit up and so very cute when done. The STR is a good yarn choice. I like the Baby Watchcap pattern, because the ribbing can expand with a growing baby head, making the hat longer wearing than many baby knits, and the Baby Mittens are very cute.

No comments: