Friday, July 13, 2007

Gift Yarn

My parents recently took a trip to eastern Turkey. They lived and worked in Turkey almost 40 years ago, but had never been to eastern Turkey. They still have some friends they are in touch with, who they got to see again. I am very happy they are enjoying their retirement well.


Sheep and Big Mountain, 6/8/2007

My mother took this picture in Turkey, so I'm afraid I'm not sure which mountain this is. I think the picture is gorgeous, and of course, the sweet sheep appeal to the fiber lover that I have become. Speaking of fiber, before they left on their trip, they asked me what I wanted them to get me as a gift. I thought about the gorgeous Turkish rugs that are made there, and the yarn I have that is made in Turkey, so I asked for yarn.

They brought me this:

They were told it was Angora Goat Mohair. It's natural, no dyes.

And also this:

Silk thread used for weaving. It's multiple strands, so I'm not sure it's something I can ever use - but pretty cool, eh?

They also gave me this:

A simple drawstring cotton bag with Turkish block print. I immediately filled it with my gift yarn, so it has become a new knitting bag. The design is of Hittite origin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So jealous of your fiber gifts!

The silk weaving thread is so gorgeous and the bag is very cool :)

-K

Team Knit said...

Ah, your post made me nostalgic- I used to live in Turkey, and I've often lamented that they should work on exporting more of their fibres- gorgeous stuff! I can't wait to see what you decide to make with your new yarn!