Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cast On: Lace Leaf Shawl

I've started another shawl. (This also means that Tuscany is done. I'll do an FO post after blocking and another portrait session).



Pattern: Lace Leaf Shawl by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: Knit Picks Shadow in Vineyard Heather, held doubled
Needles: Addi Lace Turbos in US Size 6



I've finished the set up rows and the first repeat of the lace. The pattern creates a nice, mostly diamond-shaped leaf pattern with a little row of purl bumps for the stem. The leaves that are along the center and outer increase lines are a little bit smaller than the regular pattern to accommodate establishing the pattern. It's almost invisible.



I even wound the yarn doubled so I wouldn't have to wrestle two balls of yarn at the same time. I have three skeins of the yarn, which will bring my total length to 660 yards. Based on the pattern, this might allow me one repeat past the small size. I'm planning to use up as much yarn as I can.

After knitting primarily with a silk/wool blend over the last several months, it's taking a little bit of getting used to 100% wool. I like the yarn (Knit Picks Shadow), but after frogging a swatch (didn't like the needle size I tried), I noticed a tendency to felt that the blended yarn didn't have. It's taking some getting used to.

This one is going to be a gift, but I won't say for who just in case they see this blog.

2 comments:

LizKnits said...

Wow, that looks great. The color is so rich. And how smart you are to ball your yarn already doubled. It never occurred to me to do that but what an irritation saver!

Unknown said...

Wow, it's gorgeous. So far I have not been able to figure out how to begin the pattern. I can't make sense out of the cast on diagram. I guess that shows I'm a rookie. I'll have to go to my local yarn store on Tuesday and ask for help.